Supervises personnel responsible for the functioning or fixing of equipment by preventative maintenance and inspection. Prioritizes work orders; plans, schedules, coordinates and assigns work. Plans and organizes the purchase of all necessary materials, parts and components required for work orders. Ensures compliance with OSHA, State standards and hospital policy. Responsible for safety and training of maintenance staff. Generally assists with the day-to-day operation aspects of the Department and performs other duties as assigned.
- Provides leadership and vision to the staff in areas of accountability.
- Creates awareness and support of Quality Improvement activities.
- Manages the fiscal affairs of areas of responsibility within the established budget.
- Maintains effective relationships with all levels of management and medical staff.
- Provides personnel evaluation, counseling and discipline as requires.
- Demonstrates the ability to implement established principles of management.
- Demonstrates skill in both oral and written communications as well as interpersonal relationships with clients and coworkers.
- Reflects professional behavior and appearance.
- Follows safety precautions and procedures in the performance of all duties.
- Uses best techniques for energy efficiency.
- Uses manuals and plans for ordering parts as needed for repairs.
- Evaluate and plan work order and project requirements and assign to appropriate personnel within the section. This includes responsibility for, but not limited to scheduling of work to maximum extent possible, pre-ordering of material, staging of material and execution requirements.
- Evaluate and schedule/obtain training as required to maintain/upgrade craftsman skill levels.
- Give technical assistance to craftsman as needed.
- To supervise day to day operations of the maintenance section of the Facilities Management Department.
- To be responsible for all mechanical and electrical functions.
- Position requires continuous availability for coordination in engineering emergencies.
- Instruct and monitor personnel in the section concerning safe working practices and the wearing of appropriate safety gear.
- Review completed work to see that it is done properly on a daily basis.
- Assist in the annual evaluation of craftsmen.
- Ensures department policies are followed.
- Periodically inspect buildings and utility systems to determine need for alterations, improvement and repairs.
- Actively participate in the department’s safety activities, giving ideas and leadership to increase safety awareness for an accident free working environment.
- Conducts Department meetings on a periodic basis or as needed.
- Assumes the Director of Safety responsibilities upon the absence of the director during any emergency disaster event.
- Actively participates in the preparation of the capital budget annually.
- Actively participates in the preparation of the Operation budget annually.
- Reviews all invoices and makes necessary adjustments as needed based on the monthly budget reports.
- In the absence of the Director of Facilities Management, compiles necessary information and conducts the Safety Committee meeting.
- Utilizes the Managers Toolbox to reward employees who go above and beyond their normal duties.
- In the absence of the Director assumes the responsibility of managing the Security team.
- Conducts Tracer/Safety Surveys as needed.
- Attends 1 or more computer skill developing classes if needed.
- Manages and approves all payroll activities which includes approving weekly hours, PTO requests, etc.
Note: this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee partner for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Position Work Conditions & Expectations:
• Work schedule must be flexible in order to meet changing work situations which would include but not be limited to: hurricanes, ice storms, power outages and various other types of disasters, required.
• Primarily weekday days but days/hours will flex based on the needs of the department. Weekends would be required as needed for special circumstances and projects
• Trade/Technical school certificate, Associates degree, formal apprenticeship, or other documented education in a maintenance mechanic related trade such as: HVAC, plumbing, electrical, general maintenance, carpentry/painting, electronics, refrigeration, or mechanical repair, required.
• Minimum of 5 (five) years Facilities/Maintenance Service Supervisory experience, required.
• Hospital based experience in Facilities/Maintenance Service, preferred.
• Demonstrated competency with basic computer skills, required.
• Demonstrated competency with basic Microsoft Software applications such as Word and Outlook, required.
• Ability to communicate with employees and the general public, required.
• Demonstrated ability to read and interpret technical instruction documents, required.
• Basic mathematical skills, required.
• Valid SC driver’s license in good standing. “Good standing” includes review to determine not more than two (2) minor violations or one (1) major and one (1) minor, and no DUI or reckless driving in the past three (3) years.
Physical Requirements: Medium Physical Agility Test (PAT) Rating
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently (activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) required to stand, sit, and walk; occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) to use hands, fingers; and frequently to talk or hear. The employee must exert 20 to 35 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 15 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Internal Number: 2020-7899
About Tidelands Health
As our region’s largest health care provider, Tidelands Health is dedicated to keeping the communities we serve healthy and active, inside and outside of the hospital. Ours is a singular commitment: Better health begins here.
Tidelands Health is three hospitals and more than 40 outpatient locations that stretch from North Myrtle Beach to Hemingway. More than 200 physicians and 1,800 employee partners are working side by side with our patients to transform the health of our region -- promoting wellness, preventing illness, encouraging recovery and restoring health.