YOU ARE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT A RESUME WITH YOUR APPLICATION!
Medical Director- Our Legacy Organ and Tissue AdventHealth Orlando FT
Location Address: 601 East Rollins Street
Top Reasons to work at AdventHealth Orlando
Located on a lush tropical campus, our flagship hospital, 1,368-bed AdventHealth Orlando
serves as the major tertiary facility for much of the Southeast, the Caribbean and South America
AdventHealth Orlando houses one of the largest Emergency Departments and largest cardiac catheterization labs in the country
We are already one of the busiest hospitals in the nation, providing service excellence to more than 32,000 inpatients and 125,000 outpatients each year
Work Hours/Shift: Full Time – 8a – 5p – M-F
What you will be responsible for:
The Medical Director oversees all medical aspects of OurLegacy’s organ and tissue donation operations in each of the following hospitals within the AdventHealth system: Altamonte, Apopka, Celebration, Deland, East Orlando, Fish Memorial, Flagler, Kissimmee, Winter Park, Orlando, and Waterman. Additionally, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has designated OurLegacy to provide organ donation services to all non-AdventHealth hospitals in the following counties; Brevard, Flagler, Indian River, Lake, Okeechobee, Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Sumter and Volusia. This begins with assuring operations are conducted in compliance with all federal and state laws and industry regulations and requirements to ensure safety and optimize efficacy of each organ and tissue recovered by OurLegacy.
The Medical Director participates in developing policies, procedures, and standards for organ and tissue donation, donor selection, organ optimization, allocation, recovery, and preservation in conjunction with the OurLegacy leadership team. The Medical Director, or designee, provides 24/7 call availability to the clinical staff to determine donor and organ suitability. Responsibilities also entail close collaboration with the hospital & professional relations staff to address medical staff/physician issues within the donation service area (DSA) in a timely manner.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
· The Medical Director is responsible for participating in the development of policies, procedures, and standards relating to organ and tissue donation, donor selection, organ optimization, allocation, recovery, and preservation in conjunction with the OurLegacy leadership team.
· Responsible for determining organ donor suitability.
· Assesses the clinical competence of the recovery staff relating to organ and tissue recovery.
· Provides mentoring and education in areas requiring improvement.
· Participates actively in problem solving and/or education outreach with regard to physician groups, medical staff, and key administrative leadership within the donation service area.
· Reviews donor history and provides final permission for acceptance of suitable organ donors.
· Provides and assures 24/7 phone availability to organ procurement coordinators (OPCs) according to mutually agreeable call schedule.
· Oversees and mentors the medical director on-call team.
· Assists OPCs and donor hospital partners in the medical management of potential organ donors according to organ optimization protocols.
· Provides support and guidance to transplant centers considering organ offers from OurLegacy donors.
· Leads and collaborates on research opportunities.
QUALITY / COMPLIANCE / REGULATORY RESPONSIBILITY:
· Active member of the QAPI committee
· Reviews and signs off on organ and tissue charts as part of QA process
· Complies with AdventHealth policies on Corporate Compliance and Code of Conduct.
· Assists Director in ensuring OurLegacy meets standards of national and state accrediting/regulatory bodies
· Represents the OurLegacy at local, regional and national organizations (AOPO, OPTN/UNOS, AATB, Medical Societies, Medical Examiners)
OPERATING & CAPITAL BUDGET/FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY:
· Assures organ recovery activities function efficiently and effectively to control costs
· Reviews all donor activities for medical appropriateness
STRATEGIC PLANNING RESPONSIBILITY:
· Participates in development and implementation of the strategic plan
· Annually reviews and approves all policy and procedures of the program
· Promotes approaches to expand the donor pool
· Remains current on new research and trends in organ donation and transplantation
PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT RESPONSIBILITY:
· Implements performance improvement activities and oversees quality assurance activities
· Educates transplant centers re issues re: issues and trends re improving organ utilization and expanding the pool of deceased organ donors
· Provides clinical education for staff
COMMUNITY RELATIONS RESPONSIBILITY:
· Participates in community education projects when requested (i.e. public speaking engagements, television/radio productions, editorial reports, and health newsletters, etc
· Monitors performance and training of clinical and surgical recovery personnel
· Reviews regularly all donor activities for medical appropriateness of process
· Provides supervision and consultation to the coordinators (donor selection, donor management, coordination of procurement)
What you will need:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
· Broad knowledge of principles and practices of organ procurement
· Thorough knowledge of Association of Organ Procurement Organizations (AOPO) and American Association of Tissue Bank (AATB) accreditation standards
· Thorough knowledge of OPO and Tissue Bank state and federal regulations
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Three (3) years-experience in one of the following medical fields: pulmonary/critical care medicine, anesthesiology or organ transplantation
Board Certification in their specialty
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
Licensed to practice medicine in the state of Florida
Certification in the field of specialty
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION PREFERRED:
· An active staff member in good standing of the Medical Staff of AdventHealth
Does not have direct supervisory responsibility over employees.
Oversees the effective operations of the consulting medical directors
LIVING OUR SERVICE STANDARDS
How we treat those we serve and each other is what sets us apart from other healthcare organizations. We want everyone who walks through our doors to feel loved, cared for, and at ease. Whether you are clinical or non-clinical, your actions and behaviors can create an environment that either builds trust or causes anxiety and fear. We have made it easy for you to ensure that you are always building trust and providing excellent care by exhibiting our Service Standards.
All team members will be held accountable forconsistently living out our 16 Service Standards and the additional behaviors listed below to ensure that every person, every time has an exceptional experience.
KEEP ME SAFE
I make safety my number one priority.
I protect privacy and confidentiality.
I keep my environment clean.
I follow the dress code and wear my badge correctly.
I treat others with uncommon compassion.
I nurture whole-person care through CREATION Health.
I treat others with fairness and respect.
I listen and communicate using iCARE. (Introduce, Connect, Anticipate, Reinforce, Extend)
MAKE IT EASY
I help guests to their destination.
I speak highly of others to provide connected care.
I collaborate to create solutions, not excuses.
I innovate and continually seek ways to improve our work.
I am positive and aim to exceed all expectations.
I follow through on commitments.
I use discretion with personal devices.
I recover service and restore trust using ACT. (Acknowledge/Apologize, Correct, Thank)
Team members must conform to all AdventHealth organizational and departmental policies and procedures including but not limited to:
· Code of Conduct as outlined in the “Guidelines for Employees” handbook
Establishes and maintains a history of regular attendance; makes appropriate use of PDO and observes department call-in procedures for absence; establishes and maintains punctual work habits. Exhibits timely arrival and departure and dependable time habits including meal and other breaks.
Attends and participates in mandatory facility-wide and department training/meetings as required (including but not limited to: ALN, safety training, etc.). Is able to demonstrate and apply knowledge of fire, safety, security, and disaster procedure regulations as presented in orientation, outlined in the safety manual, and as pertains to each work area.
Required to respond to emergency situations (i.e. disasters, hurricanes, etc.) by reporting to department and staying until the crisis is over or your position is covered by incoming personnel. This is a mandatory requirement. Refusal to respond may result in termination.
Contributes to the successful achievement of department-stated goals and objectives and will facilitate staff cohesiveness and communication.
At AdventHealth, Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ is our mission. It calls us to be His hands and feet in helping people feel whole. Our story is one of hope — one that strives to heal and restore the body, mind and spirit. Our more than 80,000 skilled and compassionate caregivers in hospitals, physician practices, outpatient clinics, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies and hospice centers are committed to providing individualized, wholistic care.