$42.91/hr - $71.52/hr, based on education & experience
In accordance with Colorado's EPEWA Equal Pay Transparency Rules.
Operating a hospital is more than IV bags and trauma rooms. One might be surprised by the number of people - and the hats they wear - who work behind the scenes to make sure a hospital runs smoothly and safely for our patients, visitors and staff. Each one plays a critical role and is part of a team to ensure the best care for our patients.
Looking for a motivated, experienced, Coding Leader to join our talented Physician Practice Coding team. We are in need of a Coding leader with experience in Pro Fee/Outpatient Education coding to lead one of our outpatient coding teams. Banner Health's Coding team is responsible for facility coding for 25+ hospitals ranging in size from major metropolitan teaching facilities to small rural facilities over six states. Our leaders and coders work in a remote environment. Our Leadership team is diverse in skillsets and our focus is on teamwork. Come bring your talents to our team where we can learn from each other.
As a Coding Director you will be responsible for 3--4 direct reports for the physician practice coding education team. There are special projects that come with this leadership position along with the day-to-day operational activities like facilitating meetings between coding operations and physician teams. We are looking for a strong leader with experience in QA, documentation /denial improvement and revenue cycle; core facets of coding operations.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. This opportunity includes the option to participate in a variety of health, financial, and security benefits. In addition, this position may be eligible for our Management Incentive Program as part of your Total Rewards package. Within Banner Health Corporate, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. We offer stimulating and rewarding careers in a wide array of disciplines. Whether your background is in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Managed Care Programs or Public Relations, you'll find many options for contributing to our award-winning patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for driving and supporting designated business entity health management coding programs and processes, with focus on quality of outcomes and superior service. This position promotes a collaborative, open, and inclusive work environment within a highly matrixed organization and provides direction to senior leadership on matters related to designated business entity health information management coding functions, services and systems.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Guides the development and implementation of short and long-range goals and objectives for the designated business entity's coding and abstracting programs. Provides leadership and expertise in the development, implementation, oversight, and evaluation of coding/data abstraction programs for the system. Incorporates best practices and responds to emerging trends to enhance operations, programs, and/or services. Implements and evaluates strategic programs, develops effective tools to measure performance, analyzes related data, prepares reports, and makes recommendations to senior leadership based on findings.
2. Directs, supervises, and evaluates the work of staff and managers. Holds staff accountable for achieving plans and performance targets. Works with staff to identify and resolve the most complex issues and problems impacting health management coding operations. Supports development and continued professional growth to meet company and individual goals for long-term success. Demonstrates an expectation for continuous quality improvement utilizing processes that include consideration of all stakeholders.
3. Builds and supports effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders and organizations. Develops partnerships, coordinates activities, reviews work, exchanges information, and/or resolves problems related to coding and abstraction programs and/or services.
4. Directs and participates in the development, implementation, and consistent application of effective organizational policies, procedures, and practices. Develops and supports internal controls to ensure that assets are safeguarded, policies and operating procedures are followed, necessary controls are effective and efficient, and compliance with current laws and regulations is achieved.
5. Develops and oversees the department budget to meet corporate goals and objectives. Meets annual budgetary goals. Translates organizational plans, goals, and initiatives into assumptions for annual operating and/or capital budgets. Negotiates contracts with external vendors for products and/or services and monitors/evaluates quality and/or performance. Manages and reports expenditures.
6. Communicates the department vision, translating it into actionable projects and activities. Maximizes management staff's contributions and assures timely decision-making reflecting the mission, vision, and values of the system.
7. Reviews, prepares, analyzes, and presents reports and recommendations to senior leadership regarding operations, programs, services, and/or other applicable areas of interest in order to provide concise and accurate information that aids in decision-making.
8. May lead or facilitate task forces, teams, and/or councils to plan, implement and coordinate coding related programs, services, and/or educational opportunities for the organization.
9. This position has administrative leadership responsibility for the acute care HIMS Coding strategic and daily operations across all BH facilities. Position has wide latitude for independent decision making within the framework of delegated authority. Responsible for strategically planning all acute care HIMS coding operations, consistent with BH priorities, to reach short and long term goals. Accountabilities include, but are not limited to system-wide unbilled accounts, receivable days, case mix index, multi-facility patient data base accuracy, among others. Leads, participates and/or establishes various facility and system process improvement teams or work groups. Responsible for expense budget approximately $20 million and $2.8 Billion in annual patient revenue. Responsible for other project budgets as the need arises and ensuring a positive return on investment for capital and operating projects. This position requires the skill to negotiate and influence. The internal customers include medical staff, hospital-based physicians, all hospital departments, information technology patient relations teams, and senior leadership, among others, to ensure organizational interests and assets are protected. The external customers include, but are not limited to, patients, members of the medical staff, general public, regulatory agencies and attorneys.
Expert-level working knowledge of principles, practices, and operations in assigned area of responsibility as normally obtained through the completion of a Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field and a minimum of five years of progressively responsible managerial experience in designated facility, business entity or area, including a minimum of two years management level experience within a major health care organization, health system setting, or large multi-operational corporate environment in complex industries similar to healthcare.
Depending upon assigned area of responsibility, position may require applicable certifications and/or licensures, including but not limited to: RN; MD or DO; Driver's License; Certified Healthcare Protection Administrator (CHPA); Certified Protection Professional (CPP); Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU); Associate in Risk Management (ARM); CPA; SPHR; Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA); Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT); Certified Healthcare Facility Manager (CHFM); Certified Facility Manager (CFM); Certified Coding Specialist (CCS); Certified Professional Coder (CPC); JD from an American Bar Association accredited school; admission to a State Bar Association.
Must demonstrate expert-level knowledge and awareness of area of expertise in designated facility, business entity or area. Experience working in an integrated delivery system, multi-hospital system, or managed care organization in a management level position in assigned area of responsibility. Proven track record of driving successful performance outcomes and accomplishing organizational goals. Experience anticipating and responding to the needs of internal and external customers. Experience managing a budget. Strong financial and business acumen. Knowledge of budgeting and forecasting methodologies. Able to analyze and interpret data. Skilled in building partnerships with management, staff, and stakeholders to achieve department goals and objectives; managing problems and situations where uncertainty is inherent; developing strong, enduring, and trusting relationships; fostering the development of cohesive teams; persuading others to adopt a particular stance on an issue; developing and evaluating best practices and emerging trends for organizational applicability and appropriateness; constructing new and innovative solutions for complex and varying problems and situations while considering the larger perspective or context; mentoring and coaching staff by providing open and honest feedback to enhance performance; developing and implementing strategic goals and initiatives that support organizational success; effectively allocating available resources; utilizing data and information to make informed and appropriate decisions; negotiating win-win scenarios with internal customers and/or outside vendors/partners; developing collaborative relationships with internal and/or external strategic partners and/or other applicable parties. Excellent human relations, organizational and communication skills are essential. Leadership style and characteristics necessary to effectively perform in this role include: strong work ethic; results-oriented; persuasive; motivational; able to make rational decisions in difficult situations; inspirational; honorable; confident; systems-thinker; innovative; life-long learner; courageous; high-energy; integrity; collaborator; ability to work with teams; good listening; nonvolatile; values multiple disciplines; and passionate about continuously improving and providing high quality care and service excellence to patients, families, employees and physicians.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.