JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for leading activities of the project team independently. Identifies appropriate resources needed, and develops schedules to ensure time completion of project. Coordinates the activities of the team by becoming familiar with system scope and project objectives, as well as the role and function of each team member. Leads project teams, coaches the development of other staff and implements multiple complex projects.
Develops project plans, goals and objectives in collaboration with project and department leadership.
Provides professional and/or technical leadership in the execution of day-to-day project activities.
Communicates within and across department to maximize information sharing around progress, needs, inter-dependencies and accomplishments.
Assures successful implementation of people, process and systems changes to support redefined service delivery model.
Participates in institutional task forces and other special committees related to the achievement of goals and objective.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT (ADVANCED): - Planning, organizing, and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives.
PROCESS IMPROVEMENT (ADVANCED): - Identifies, analyzes and improves upon existing business processes for optimization and to meet standards of quality.
PROJECT PLANNING - (ADVANCED): - Demonstrates ability to forecast resource needs, identify and break work down into discrete and measurable tasks, set priorities, define dependencies, schedule activities, prepare acceptance criteria and organize work for large, complex projects requiring diverse functions and/or operations. Continuously monitors and follows up on buyins and commitments. Competently handles multiple projects simultaneously, balancing and scheduling tasks requiring dependencies and those which can be accomplished independently. Accurately estimates and plans complex projects and assignments. Maintains perspective between the overall picture and the details. Is proficient in the advanced features of project management tools.
GAP ANALYSIS (ADVANCED): - Analyzes the difference between the current and desired state. The ability to draw appropriate and valid conclusions from data presented, sifting through data to determine the most significant elements. Identifying common elements and themes in situations and actions, recognizing cause and effect relationships.
FINANCIAL PROCESSES (ADVANCED): - Ability to monitor costs, expenses and revenue as well as the ability to manage those costs and expenses in relation to budgeted amounts.
MENTORING & COACHING (INTERMEDIATE): - The essence of training and mentoring on the job is transfer of knowledge. Whereas training can be considered more formal and scheduled, mentoring is often in the form of guidance and hands-on experiences. The reporting relationship is unimportant since the purpose is to pass on information and experiences. These discussions normally center around a person's goal of learning job procedures, content, standards, analysis and problem-solving.
Organizational Impact: Independently delivers on objectives with understanding of how they impact the results of own area/team and other related teams.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes multiple sources of data to analyze and resolve complex problems; may take a new perspective on existing solution.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has advanced knowledge within a professional area and basic knowledge across related areas.
Team Interaction: Acts as a go-to resource for colleagues with less experience; may lead small project teams.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P3):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P3):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P3):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P3):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P3):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.