Executive Director - Diversity, Equity & Inclusion - North
Beth Israel Lahey Health
Location: Burlington, Massachusetts
Type: Full Time
Preferred Education: Masters
Hospital, Public and Private
Internal Number: 43335BR
Job Summary: The Executive Director (ED) of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) will have regional BILH responsibility for partnering with local senior leadership and business leaders to develop and implement strategies to achieve the DEI vision to transform care delivery by dismantling barriers to equitable health outcomes and become the premier health system to attract, retain and develop diverse talent. Responsible for DEI at Lahey Hospital and Medical Center (LHMC), serving as LHMC's Associate DEI Officer and participate regularly in Senior Leadership Team meetings at LHMC, advancing LHMC-specific DEI priorities, in connection with other strategic priorities for the hospital. Provide strategic direction and spread DEI best practices for the BILH South-region hospitals and business units by working in close collaboration with local hospital senior leaders and DEI committees.
1. Strategic Development: Lead, develop and advance a holistic strategy that articulates the commitment imperative for inclusion, diversity and belonging. Develop & implement enterprise-wide DEI programs and policies leveraging macro-trends, research, analysis and benchmarks across our diverse workforce, in partnership with stakeholders and business partners;
2. Provide direction for training initiatives on cultural competency, gender differences, disability, & sexual harassment, building a climate of equity, inclusion and belonging. Represent the local institution in external organizations/agencies on DEI matters.
3. Leadership and Management: Collaborate with leadership team to create and implement and monitor programs and develop goals designed to ensure fair and equitable treatment of faculty, trainees and staff. Establish and lead leadership diversity council while engaging faculty, trainees & staff to build a welcoming and inclusive culture;
4. Collaborate with Tufts Medical School, and other internal and external constituency groups to promote and advance diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives. Executive Director - Diversity, Equity and Inclusion - South at BIDMC & Executive Director - Diversity, Equity & Inclusion - North at BIDMC
5. Talent: Collaborate with HR and external communities to develop professional development and training programs to support the retention and advancement of diverse talent. Work closely with program directors and actively participate in recruitment, support the academic advancement and retention of underrepresented minority trainees and faculty.
6. Partner with recruiting teams to strengthen DEI hiring initiatives. Collaborate with compliance team on issues regarding protected class discrimination & harassment. Create mentorship initiatives that foster inclusive opportunities for high potential employees & build leadership pipelines that represents the diversity of the communities served.
7. Community: Collaborate with the VP of Community Benefits and Community Relations, to support local community needs and investments. Partner with Supply Chain leadership in designing, measuring and monitoring local supplier diversity strategies and tactics;
8. Collaborate with the administrative and clinical leadership during budget planning to ensure comprehensive budget for diversity, equity and inclusive initiatives. Manage allocated budget, including developing budget proposals, justifying expenses and monitoring accounts.
9. Financial and Reporting Management: Collaborate with leadership during budget planning to ensure comprehensive budget for diversity, equity and inclusive initiatives; Manage allocated budget, including developing budget proposals, justifying expenses and monitoring accounts;
10.Develop, monitor and communicate diversity performance measures and scorecards and report progress regularly.
11.Has the authority to direct and support managers with functional area responsibilities. Has the direct responsibility to undertake the following employment actions: hiring, termination, corrective action and performance reviews. Direct Reports: 2-3 Indirect Reports: None
12.Has full responsibility for planning, monitoring and managing department budget.
2. 8-10 years related work experience required in DEI and/or organizational development and 1-3 years supervisory/management experience required
3. Exp in large organizations. Strong program mgmt/consulting expertise.
4. Exp in change mgmt, data analysis, organizational leadership/development
5. Advanced skills with Microsoft applications, which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
1. Decision Making: Ability to make decisions with significant, broad implications for the management and operations of a major department or multiple departments. Participates in decisions on overall strategy and direction of the organization. Executive Director - Diversity, Equity and Inclusion - South at BIDMC & Executive Director - Diversity, Equity & Inclusion - North at BIDMC
2. Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are broad, complex and abstract, often involving Medical Center-wide issues and requiring substantial creativity, resourcefulness, staff engagement, Lean diagnostic techniques, negotiation and diplomacy to develop solutions.
3. Independence of Action: Ability to set direction and vision for major departments or multiple departments. Establishes priorities, develops policies and allocates resources.
4. Written Communications: Ability to communicate complex information in English effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management and external customers across functional areas.
5. Oral Communications: Ability to verbally communicate complex concepts in English and address sensitive situations, resolve conflicts, negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
6. Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
7. Team Work: Ability to lead collaborative teams for larger projects or groups both internal and external to the Medical Center and across functional areas. Results have implications for the management and operations of multiple areas of the organization.
8. Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Every day, Beth Israel Lahey Health helps the people, families and communities we serve to live healthier lives. Our teams collaborate to deliver exceptional care for every aspect of your health — from primary care to specialty providers, from research labs to hospitals and beyond. Our care is informed by world-class research and education. We share a commitment to delivering the best care in every community we serve.