Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 1,048 licensed inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 65 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; a separate hospital outpatient surgical department with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. For 2021-2022, U.S. News and World Report ranked Duke University Hospital nationally in 11 adult specialties: cancer, cardiology & heart surgery, diabetes & endocrinology, ear, nose & throat, gastroenterology & GI surgery, gynecology, neurology & neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology & lung surgery, and urology. Duke University Hospital is also ranked first in North Carolina and first in the Raleigh-Durham area.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Lead and coordinate efforts to create a streamlined, standardized and effective Oncology Patient Education Program with the goal of supporting patient health literacy and aligning the patient education efforts of DCI. Will do this by supporting the DCI interprofessional teams in equitably enabling DCI patients and their families to find, understand, and use health information to inform health-related decision and actions and help drive optimal patient outcomes
- Provide administrative direction to assigned program to include managing and coordinating financial development and administration, special programs such as speakers and lecturers, programs, publications and special conferences or other events to ensure fulfillment of the program objectives.
- Coordinate and participate in meetings with faculty members to determine objectives of the program and/or center and to identify internal and external resources available to meet those objectives. Develop and implement program protocol, procedures, and operating.
- Prepare applications for grants and contracts to include development of budgets; administer departmental grants and contracts in accordance with University policies and sponsors' requirements regarding records,reports, controls and conditions governing expenditures of funds.
- Coordinate arrangements for special programs such as speaker series to include inviting appropriate speakers or otherparticipants, arranging schedules, facilities, and publicity and ensuring necessary financial arrangements.
- Prepare brochures, bulletins and other publications to describe the program's academic goals, and events such as conferences and special programs; publish,develop and implement other communications vehicles such as news letters to include compiling news and educational articles of local interest; write and edit text and coordinate printing and mailing or distribution.
- Maintain liaison with outside educational and professional organizations and agencies to explore implementation of specialized programs at Duke and to encourage participation in specified programs.Coordinate the compilation of and prepare operational and financial reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or Correspond with interested students and other universities to provide information concerning activities, policies and procedures of the program.
Experience: Work requires the ability to plan an administer programs and direct program activities within a specific functional area, generally acquired through four years of related experience in a healthcare or educational/academic setting. 4-6 years in a healthcare or educational/academic setting.
Knowledge and experience in application of Adult Learning Theory Experience in leading by influence
Degrees, Licensure, and or Certification: Registered Nurse, Masters in Public Health or Master in Education preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Supervision, budget projections, trend analysis, customer service
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
As a world-class academic and health care system, Duke Health strives to transform medicine and health locally and globally through innovative scientific research, rapid translation of breakthrough discoveries, educating future clinical and scientific leaders, advocating and practicing evidence-based medicine to improve community health, and leading efforts to eliminate health inequalities.