Akron Children's Hospital has been caring for children since 1890, and our pediatric specialties are ranked among the nation's best by U.S. News & World Report. With two hospital campuses, regional health centers and more than 50 primary and specialty care locations throughout Ohio, we're making it easier for today's busy families to find the high-quality care they need. In 2020, our health care system provided more than 1.1 million patient encounters. We also operate neonatal and pediatric units in the hospitals of our regional health care partners. Every year, our Children's Home Care Group nurses provide thousands of in-home visits, and our School Health nurses manage clinic visits for students from preschool through high school. With our Quick Care Online virtual visits and Akron Children's Anywhere app, we're here for families whenever and wherever they need us. Learn more at akronchildrens.org.
To treat every child as we would our own
To treat others as they would like to be treated
To turn no child away for any reason
Prior to the start date, full COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment. Full vaccination is defined as 14 days after the last received vaccination. Boosters are excluded from this requirement.
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
Full Time Management, Must live in Ohio or PA.
Function as primary administrative contact for executive leadership on biomedical technology issues. Direct activities and lead the Clinical Engineering Department in the selection, procurement, and delivery of biomedical equipment and services. Ensure all program elements are designed and implemented to comply with Joint Commission and other regulatory and inspection agency requirements, guidelines, and standards. Develop and implement strategies in line with the Akron Children's Strategic Plan. Develop annual goals and objectives related to supporting the growth and development of clinical engineering in response to present and future needs. Develop and manage annual operating budget of the Clinical Engineering Department. Provide leadership and collaboration with the Environment of Care Committee, Operational Departments. Develop and implement processes and improvements for Biomedical Engineering to meet Cybersecurity requirements.
1. Develop and implement consistent policies and procedures that guide and support functions of the Clinical Engineering Department.
2. Review and rank all strategic capital requests for biomedical equipment assess and prioritize all strategic capital requests.
3. Develop and meet goals with respect to biomedical technology in support of strategic plan.
4. Provide clinical engineering resources and guidance to review the maintenance capital submittals for biomedical equipment at all sites as requested.
5. Provide clinical engineering resources and guidance to manage medical equipment planning for construction projects involving biomedical equipment at all sites as requested.
6. Provide clinical engineering resources and guidance to conduct pre-purchase evaluations, research vendors, assess cost of ownership, and other activities in support of biomedical equipment acquisitions.
7. Provide clinical engineering resources and guidance to offer initial inspections and acceptance testing for acquisition of biomedical equipment.
8. Provide clinical engineering resources and guidance to participate in the investigation and reporting of medical device related incidents.
9. Provide clinical engineering resources and guidance to participate in the medical device hazard and recall notification program.
10. Provide clinical engineering resources and guidance to comply with the Joint Commission medical equipment management standards.
11. Provide clinical engineering resources and guidance to integrate biomedical equipment with the electronic medical record.
12. Provide clinical engineering resources and guidance to combat cyber-security threats in biomedical equipment/networks.
13. Provide management of equipment performance and service vendors to maintain the highest standards of patient care. When products or services are found to be unsatisfactory, the director is responsible for expediting solutions including replacing equipment or terminating service.
14. Integrate management of biomedical equipment maintenance at all sites.
15. Communicate with key clinical customers through participation on system committees.
16. Optimize capital purchasing power by identifying opportunities to consolidate across sites and fiscal years.
17. Negotiate system-wide service agreements with vendors where appropriate.
18. Measure and report on Metrics for Biomedical Engineering department including but not limited to Preventative Maintenance performance, work volumes and productivity.
Other information: Technical Expertise 1. Knowledge of many different types of patient care equipment.
2. Knowledge of electronic theory and technology.
3. Proficiency in MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word] or similar software is required.
4. Ability to plan, organize, and implement policies and procedures.
5. Ability to clearly communicate technical principles to non-technical personnel both verbally and in writing.
6. Ability to supervise, direct, evaluate, and delegate work and responsibilities to subordinate personnel.
7. Ability to analyze complex problems and recommend solutions.
8. In-depth knowledge of Joint Commission and other applicable standards and regulations.
Education and Experience 1. Education: Bachelor of Science in biomedical engineering or other technical discipline is required. Master of Science in biomedical engineering with a clinical engineering concentration is preferred.
2. Certification: Certified Healthcare Technology Manager is preferred.
3. Seven years' experience in medical or technical equipment operations and maintenance management five years' management of a hospital clinical engineering program.
4. Familiarity with applicable regulatory and inspecting agency requirements.
5. Must have advanced electronic training.
6. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: