DMC Harper University Hospital has distinguished itself in surgery and medicine and is known for its clinical expertise and innovative research. A specialty referral hospital, Harper has established Centers of Excellence in neurosciences, bariatric surgery, vascular services, multidisciplinary cardiovascular services, hypertension, stroke prevention and heart failure.
Reporting to the Chief Nursing Officer DMC Main Campus assumes system management responsibility for multiple (2 or more) services, functions, or processes within the assigned specialty area. Specialty nursing areas include:
â�¢ Behavioral Health
â�¢ Womenâ��s Services
â�¢ Critical Care
â�¢ Emergency Services
â�¢ Adult Central Campus
The position is broad in scope and functions within a matrix reporting structure. The role includes programmatic responsibilities in Nursing and Operations. Works in collaboration with the DMC Chief Nursing Officer Council from a strategic planning aspect, and develops, monitors and revises functional processes as needed. Coordinates a cohesive approach to executing clinical strategies and patient care across the DMC organization, including performance excellence and quality outcomes. Translates data into practice.
Works collaboratively with clinical leadership to standardize nursing practice to deliver high quality clinical care, incorporating research and teaching activities. Cultivates and maintains professional relationships with primary customers of the clinical area(s) including medical directors, physicians, physician groups and patients to enhance customer service and to positively impact core clinical measures. Develops, implements, monitors and evaluates systems/initiatives/programs to facilitate performance/quality improvements in keeping with strategic objectives and regulatory requirements. Implements rapid quality improvement interventions and Lean methodologies. Understands the benefits of standardization and how to drive its implantation through the service line to improve quality, efficiency, patient, staff and physician satisfaction.
Approves procedures/protocols and/or seeks other departmental approvals, as appropriate. Develops, monitors and revises functional processes. Provides input into the development and revision of organizational structure for function or service. Approves personnel actions, such as hires, fires and disciplines. Ensures the timely completion of performance appraisals. This influence is limited to the site level. Specifically, the position identifies the need for policy development and/or revision, defines policies in collaboration with higher-level management input, goals and objectives. In collaboration with the executive senior leadership team and in cooperation with others in the hospital and DMC System, assists in developing and implementing current to intermediate goals and measures for areas of responsibility. Measures and assesses performance. As requested, assists in long-range goal development. Develops and monitors budget for areas. Coordinates a cohesive approach to clinical strategies and patient care across the DMC organization including performance excellence and quality outcomes. Monitors activities for and ensures compliance with laws, government regulations, Joint Commission requirements and DMC policies.
Key Responsibilities in alignment with Nursing Practice (AONE Core Competencies):
*Adapted from the American Organization of Nurse Executive (AONE) Nurse Executive Competencies
Retaining great people at the facility
â�¢ Collaborates with human resources and other team members to select, on-board, orient, and provide coaching for direct reports.
â�¢ Collaborates with related team members to promote a safe work environment that is based on a zero tolerance for sexual harassment, workplace violence and verbal and physical abuse
â�¢ Participates in workforce planning to ensure an adequate and competent workforce
Communication and Relationship Building
â�¢ Effectively communicates with all internal and external constituents, including staff, colleagues, and physicians
â�¢ Manages organizational relationships in a manner which builds mutual trust and respect. Builds trusting and collaborative relationships
â�¢ Addresses and manages conflict in a constructive and productive manner
â�¢ Gives timely feedback and reinforces positive behaviors
â�¢ Creates and communicates a compelling shared vision
â�¢ Develops effective strategies for addressing organizational priorities
â�¢ Develops, communicates and monitors performance expectations
â�¢ Formulates objectives, goals, and specific strategies related to the organizationâ��s mission and vision
â�¢ Develops and maintains positive relationship with physicians and other practitioners
â�¢ Demonstrates effective change management, able to serve as an organizational change agent
â�¢ Coaches and mentors aspiring nurse leaders
â�¢ Creates an environment which recognizes and values diversity
â�¢ Designs strategies that address the unique needs of a diverse workforce, patient population, and community
Shared decision-making / Shared Leadership
â�¢ Engages staff and others in decision-making
â�¢ Promotes decisions that are patient-centered
â�¢ Promotes systems thinking as a value in the nursing organization
â�¢ Considers the impact of nursing decisions on the health care organization as a whole
Clinical Practice Leadership
â�¢ Understands and articulates patient care standards reflected in federal and state regulation, TJC, the state Nurse Practice Act, and organizational policies and procedures
â�¢ Maintains knowledge of current nursing practice and roles and functions within nursing and other healthcare disciplines
â�¢ Ensures that nursing/clinical practice is consistent with current standards and current evidenced based practice
â�¢ Teaches and mentors others to routinely utilize evidenced based data and research
â�¢ Provides a supportive and stimulating learning environment for nursing students
â�¢ Participates in the academic community through advisory and collaborative efforts
â�¢ Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of organizational revenue, expense performance and capital planning.
â�¢ Manages fiscal, human and material resources in a cost effective manner
Quality, Patient Safety and Risk Management
â�¢ Contributes to the development and implementation of the organizationâ��s performance improvement program Supports the development and implementation of an organization-wide patient safety program
â�¢ Monitors and evaluates quality through public reported measure (i.e. core measures, nurse sensitive patient outcomes, infection control, etc.) in collaboration with the facility DCQI and ICP, as well as national resources.
â�¢ Supports a non-punitive environment and a reward system for reporting unsafe practices
â�¢ Designs safe clinical systems, processes, policies and procedures
â�¢ Allocates nursing resources based on measurement of patient acuity/care needed
â�¢ Ensures staff is clinically competent and trained on their role in patient safety, performance improvement, and risk management
â�¢ Supports a safe culture that assures accountability and respects values and individual contributions
â�¢ Identifies, mitigates and takes action to correct areas of risk/liability in patient care
â�¢ Facilitates facility level annual pressure ulcer prevalence and incidence study results with corrective action
Information management and technology
â�¢ Supports and embraces role in the adoption of EMR within facility
â�¢ Demonstrates basic competency in technology applications related to business and clinical functions
â�¢ Utilizes hospital database management, decision support, and expert system programs to access information and analyze data from disparate sources for use in planning for patient care processes and systems
â�¢ Monitors and evaluates service indicators in collaboration with related team members at the facility level.
â�¢ Facilitates education of employees related to service
â�¢ Actively facilitates Physician satisfaction survey, monitors results and collaborates with facility team members to develop and implement action plans
â�¢ Monitors and evaluates results of annual Employee Satisfaction Survey and collaborates with related team members to develop and implement action plans
â�¢ Works to continuously improve the patient experience. Measures and reports on all aspects of the patient experience. Garners resources to ensure employees provide the highest quality patient experience throughout the continuum of care.
Professional Role Model
â�¢ Advocates for nursing
â�¢ Assumes personal and professional accountability
â�¢ Follows through on commitments
â�¢ Integrates high ethical standards and core values into everyday work activities
1. Masterâ��s degree in Nursing, Health Administration, Business, Public Health, management or related field required.
2. Academic degree in nursing required (Bachelorâ��s or Masterâ��s degree).
3. Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the state of Michigan.
4. Five years of progressive management experience in a hospital environment as an Associate Chief Nursing Officer or Nursing director of multiple, complex nursing departments.
5. Certification in Specialty or Leadership preferred (Example: CORN, NEA-BC, NE-BC, etc.).
1. Analytical ability to create solutions to difficult administrative, technical or human situations, to anticipate and resolve a broad range of issues and concerns on multiple, sometimes unrelated, topics, to determine the need for process development and refinement, to independently evaluate situations and outline ramifications of multiple solutions or options, to recommend goals for a function/area and understand when intervention in current work processes must occur to ensure successful delivery of service.
2. High level of communication and interpersonal skills for contacts with internal and external customers/stakeholders to obtain and interpret a variety of information based on knowledge of departmental practices, DMC policies and programs and specific technical and regulatory knowledge. Discretion must be exercised in deciding what and how to communicate; conflict resolution skills must be exercised where policy issues are concerned both within the functional area and interdepartmentally. Diplomacy, tact and listening skills are required. Ability to read, interpret and write technical materials.
3. Broad technical knowledge of the administration and operations of healthcare functions and facilities including human, legal, technological, fiscal and customer aspects of the delivery of care.
4. Project management skills including the ability to define program, project, or process objectives, identify stakeholders and their interests, plan steps, coordinate and allocate human, technological and fiscal resources to accomplish goals and objectives in a resourceful yet timely manner.
5. Leadership skills including demonstrated willingness to pursue leadership roles with increasing levels of accountability comfort with decision-making responsibilities, coaching, teaching and counseling skills, and the ability to inspire and build confidence in others and to forge alliances and garner support.
6. Ability to serve as role model and advocate for the professional discipline of nursing.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
About DMC Harper University/Hutzel Women's Hospital
Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC) is a diversified healthcare services company headquartered in Dallas with 112,000 employees. Through an expansive care network that includes United Surgical Partners International, we operate 65 hospitals and approximately 510 other healthcare facilities, including surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care and imaging centers and other care sites and clinics. We also operate Conifer Health Solutions, which provides revenue cycle management and value-based care services to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, employers and other clients. Across the Tenet enterprise, we are united by our mission to deliver quality, compassionate care in the communities we serve.